Title of Docent (Media Education)
MSSs, PhD student (Social Psychology)
University of Lapland
Faculty of Education and Centre for Media Pedagogy
paivi.rasi at ulapland.fi
I am a University Lecturer in Media Education at the University of Lapland, Finland. In this blog, you will find information about my research and teaching. My research interests with some selected associated publications include:
Older people’s media education and media competences:
- Rasi, P., Vuojärvi, H., & Hyvönen, P. (2016). Aikuisten ja ikääntyneiden mediakasvatus [Media Education of Adults and Older People] (pp. 198–212). In L. Pekkala, S. Salomaa, & S. Spisak (Eds.), Monimuotoinen mediakasvatus. Kansallisen audiovisuaalisen insituutin (KAVI) julkaisuja 1/2006. Helsinki, Finland: KAVI.
- Rasi, P., & Kilpeläinen, A. (2015).The digital competences and agency of older people living in rural villages in Finnish Lapland. Seminar.net. International Journal of Media, Technology & Lifelong Learning, 11(2), 149-160.
Older people’s Internet use and non-use
- Rasi, P., & O’Neil, C. (2014). Dinosaurs and fossils living without dangerous tools: Social representations of computers and the Internet by elderly Finnish and American non-users. Seminar.net. International Journal of Media, Technology & Lifelong Learning, 10(1), 55-72.
- Hakkarainen, P. (2012). “No good for shovelling snow and carrying firewood” – Social representations of computers and the Internet by elderly Finnish non-users. New Media & Society, 14(7), 1198-1215.
ICTs and video in teaching and learning; online teaching and learning
- Eriksson, M. J., Rasi, P., & Vuojärvi, H. (2014). Comparing the use of computer-supported collaboration tools among university students with different life circumstances. Seminar.net. International Journal of Media, Technology & Lifelong Learning, 10(2), 121-135.
- Ruokamo, H., Hakkarainen, P., & Eriksson, M. (2012). Designing a model for teaching and meaningful e-learning. In A. Olofsson & J. Lindberg (Eds.), Informed design of educational technologies in higher education: Enhanced learning and teaching (pp. 375-392). New York: IGI Global.
- Hakkarainen, P., & Vapalahti, K. (2011). Meaningful learning through video-supported forum-theater. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, 23(3), 314-328.
Higher education pedagogy
- Rasi, P., Hautakangas, M., & Väyrynen, S. (2015). Designing culturally inclusive affordance networks into the curriculum. Teaching in Higher Education, 20(2), 131-142.